Politics Nigerian Air Force Drops Bombs on Senator Ndume's Convoy

A

abujagirl

Yesterday, Senator Mohammed Ali Ndume representing Southern Borno Senatorial District, narrowly escaped death when a Nigerian Air Force jet allegedly mistook his convoy for those of Boko Haram terrorists and threw explosives at it.

Addressing the press after the incident, Ndume said he traveled to Gwoza to present a letter of appointment to the Emir of Gwoza, Alhaji Iddrisa Timta, who was to be upgraded as a first class emir as well as visit Arbaku, Ngoshe and other remote villages affected by Boko Haram attacks to condole with the victims.

"I thank God for sparing my life as the jet which I suspected was on military operation against Boko Haram dropped four bombs on my convoy. I went to Gwoza. I notified the police and military authorities of my presence where they even assisted me with security cover, and when I finished with my mission at about 2:10pm, we started hearing explosions. Initially, I thought it was Boko Haram that wanted to attack me, but when we were thrown into confusion, the soldiers attached to my convoy rushed to me and said it was not Boko Haram, but rather, an Air Force jet that was dropping bombs. We had to run into a military base close to the scene of the incident and take cover.

Ndume said he had reported the incident to the Chief of Army Staff, Lt Gen Azubuike Ihejirika, who he further added, replied his text message thus, "I hope no life was lost".

When contacted, Air Commodore Yusuf Anas, Nigerian Air force spokesperson said that its jet was pursuing some Boko Haram suspects when it cited Ndume’s convoy and mistakenly fired some shots at it, and not bombs as alleged, describing the incident as unfortunate.

The Director of Air Force Public Relations, Air Commodore Yusuf Anas, also denied allegations that Senator Ndume’s convoy was bombed saying that terrorists of the Boko Haram sect attacked the Army Barracks in Gwoza and made attempt to over run it, adding that during the pursuit of the terrorists, the jets flew low and opened fire on a set of vehicles, about five or more of them including Hilux vans that were carrying the terrorists…But because the aircraft could not ascertain those in the vehicles, no further action was taken.

images

Back