Metro Nigerian Farmers Prefer Cannabis to Food

Bolanle Akanji

Most Nigerian farmers have abandoned growing food and economic crops for cannabis hoping to become millionaires.

The country’s anti-narcotics agency, NDLEA said this on Saturday.

Ahmadu Giade, the chairman of the Nigeria’s National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), said in a statement: “It is sad and disturbing that most farmers are now abandoning food and economic crops for cannabis.”

Last year, the NDLEA arrested 8,052 suspected drug traffickers, including 542 women. More than 1,400 hectares of land was used last year for cannabis plantation. Land which could have been used to better the agricultural sector.

The agency seized drugs worth 33 billion naira last year and prosecuted 1,720 suspects. It however, did not say how many suspects they were able to convict.

“We shall continue to dislodge more drug trafficking syndicates because anytime we
intercept drug from criminals, we are indirectly saving lives,” Giade said.

Some of the seized drugs came into Lagos from Brazil and Pakistan, he claimed.

Here is a not-so-genius idea: how about making better government policies that upscale the value of food crops? Maybe, just maybe, you'll have more farmers interested in growing food.

Here is a not-so-genius idea: how about making better government policies that upscale the value of food crops? Maybe, just maybe, you'll have more farmers interested in growing food.
Now who is going to heed this wonderful advice? Certainly not this current government. Like the farmers, they, are also after making money- the fastest way. Damn the consekuences.

LMAO. What I want to say is, maybe the FG should lend him a hand? I don't know how governmental red tape works, but I know Nigeria sorely needs to make staple-friendly policies for the agricultural sector.

LMAO. What I want to say is, maybe the FG should lend him a hand? I don't know how governmental red tape works, but I know Nigeria sorely needs to make staple-friendly policies for the agricultural sector.
I also think so. Buh FG isn't helping these guys, according to a farmer friend- even with the help of the World Bank& other agencies.
He said farm machines rot away while farmers beg.

You know, @Lequte, that stuff always surprises me. The problem isn't even that these farming aids don't exist, or that they are being diverted. They are just there - rotting away.

What the hell is that about?

I marvel @Vunderkind . It's irritating and annoying at the same time to hear all these stuffs. I have no idea what these ministries do with all these instruments, keeping 'em for their unborn children maybe? Tsk tsk ppff. Federal workers are the tardiest and laziest ones, and they love money. HOw is that not going to move the nation backwards? :mad:

Pragmatism will go a long way in solving a huge part of Nigeria's problems.

But @Lequte, our Minister of Agriculture was just recently named Forbes African Person of the Year.

I'm confused - he's obviously doing a good job, for Forbes to have noticed him and given him that award, but still...
I am not certain What criteria was used in finding the guy worthy of such award.

...but I must say, from what I see around me, that the agricultural sector has made a huge turn around. I do not know who I'd attribute this success to - I really don't care.

...but I must say, from what I see around me, that the agricultural sector has made a huge turn around. I do not know who I'd attribute this success to - I really don't care.

Until a bag of rice goes for around N2.5-N3k, nothing has changed.

We hear of reforms et al but foodstuffs are still expensive for the average Nigerian.

Until a bag of rice goes for around N2.5-N3k, nothing has changed.

Of a truth this is what everyone wants but i think a lot of things will have to come into play in trying to achieve this - FG having most of the responsibility.

Everyday I see food commodities (minus foreign rice) sold cheaply where I am and often wonder why they are sold quite expensive in other parts of Nigeria. I try to convince myself to blame the FG...

@phealip Transportation is also another issue to be tackled if foodstuffs are to be available to the average man. Trains should do a lot of good here.

@phealip Transportation is also another issue to be tackled if foodstuffs are to be available to the average man. Trains should do a lot of good here.
Your points are valid @Lequte and this was why I stated that the FG has a greater responsibility to fulfill...

...but it would not be fair to ignore the greediness of Nigerians. Transportation is an issue to tackle but not as despicable as marketers making 100% and more from each commodity item.

If certain policies are not put in place and strictly adhered to, the railway system won't make much difference on commodity cost. Even goods produced in the same state are still sold the same amount as those from a far away state.

Well spoken @phealip Nigerians have a huge part to play buh IMO FG has a bigger part to play. What about price regulation agencies? If not for PPPRA we'd be buying kerosene at N150/litre or more.

Citizens have a tendency to go gaga buh FG is responsible for bringing 'em to order and maintaining the status quo.

Pragmatism like I said will save us a lot of troubles.

We have the "Place" value of commodities. Currently, due to poor transportation, the place value of food items leaving their natural habitats to consumers is a factor which shoots the price of food astronomically high.

I believe that we can start slowly, in a tripartite effort, to reduce this coefficient.

1. Create storage facilities across Nigeria so food doesn't perish on the way. When food perishes on the way, the remainder that makes it to the market is sold higher to cover the cost of the destroyed ones.

2. Repair roads. This is quite obvious. Also, I think we need better train routes (and, I know I am pushing my luck, but faster trains?)

3. Price standardization across the republic.

Any questions, class?

Nicely put @Lequte and @Vunderkind.

As important as the first two points you stated, price standardization is the major thing to look out for in a country like Nigeria.. An average Nigerian marketer does not know how to calculate his profits and always wants to make more.

Not all commodity traveling routes are bad. Many private marketers own their storage facilities, yet they will still want to make the same gain as those who have difficulties.

"Make I just sell am to you for that price since you be my customer". This is the greatest level of greed and wickedness!! No one makes a loss to please another. Meaning the profit would not be affected even at that price!!

We Nigerians are the reason this nation is like this. The FG have their flaws (more than one can mention) but the pains we experience on a daily basis is caused by our own wickedness, not directly FG!

**breathes** I give up!!

Back