Politics Nigerian Leaders Mourn Nelson Mandela

A

abujagirl

Reactions have continued to trail the demise of Nelson Mandela, South African apartheid hero and world symbol of freedom. Nigerian leaders have joined leaders all over the world to eulogize the fallen hero.

In a message on twitter, President Goodluck Jonathan wrote: “Mandela’s indefatigable spirit will continue to inspire present and future generations of Africans".

Kayode Fayemi, Ekiti State Governor in a statement released this morning expressed his grief on the demise of the fallen hero and called for celebrations and sober reflections.

He said, “Rather than mourning, Mandela’s transition into glory should be an occasion for celebration and reflection. Firstly, we celebrate the final consummation of a life well spent. The phrase “a life well spent” which is commonly used in obituaries has become an overworked cliché but in the case of Madiba it is not a cliché at all".

This morning, Rotimi Amaechi, Governor of Rivers state said,“He was a legend. A true African hero. He led the fight against apartheid that brought democracy to South Africa.As President, he led South Africa extremely well and became a symbol of good and exemplary leadership in Africa and beyond. History will always remember Madiba, he became the symbol of hope for all. Indeed the world has lost a fine, great and wonderful person. Humanity has lost one of its finest. My thoughts and prayers are with his family, the government and people of South Africa. The world has lost a hero. Adieu Madiba".

Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC) described Mandela's death as the end of an era. He said, “Mandela’s death signals the end of an era of the generation of African leaders who never coveted power, but used power for the good of the greater number of their people. Africa has indeed lost an Icon, a formidable figure, a man of character and conviction and a political leader unequalled in the history of Africa. His demise is a great loss to Africa. I extend my sympathy to the government and people of South Africa and to the wife and family of Nelson Mandela".

Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom state wrote on Facebook, "We give thanks to God that Nelson Mandela lived. His life was a living example of love; love for his people, love for the truth and love for what was right. My hero, Africa's hero, you go home triumphantly after a job well done. Rest in peace Madiba!

mandela.jpg

Last edited:
Back