Politics Nigerian Senate Rejects Buhari's Ambassadorial List

P

ProfRem

Nigerian Senate, today, rejected President Muhammadu Buhari ambassadorial list.

SEE : FULL LIST of Ambassadorial Nominees and Their States of Origin

The Senate says the nomination pushed forward by the president lacks federal character.

nigerian-senate-690x450.jpg

Details soon

I will prefer that the presidency hands over the selection of those( Ambassadorial candidates) that have federal character to the senate to choose and decide. Afterwards, we could now compare and contrast which of the presidential and senatorial list of ambassadors, lacked federal characters. Simple!

What a write-up on agenda objective for the IGP's office.
But away from that, what about developments in the OAU since June 2, 2016? please, come along with me:
FOR BETTER GRADUATES AND VICE-CHANCELLOR’S SELECTION PROCESS

Tajudeen A EJALONIBU mncs, mcpn: June 22, 2016

Between building better University Graduates and the selection of Vice Chancellors in Universities, and vice versa as we may be presented with the opportunity to voice opinion that influences a better productive graduates and selection process of vice chancellors, which in turn bothers our ethics warranted a postulation of an algorithm for a better tertiary education that solidifies industrial development for Nigeria. That would be a core-value that comes to mind on the revision of “statutes” that establishes each universities. The early university establishment in Nigeria suggested an enviable structure built on solid foundation at the era of commitment devoid of industrial disruptions and autonomy which was provided at the detriment of academic values. In the recent decades, say 1999 till 2016, students knows admission time, but unsure of graduating from the University because, incessant industrial unrest from both staff and student unionism coupled with vice chancellors selection processes constitutes another hiccup where staff/student welfare were of no concern at the ivory towers.

There is no doubt; federal funding to its universities skyrocketed without anything to show for the financial commitment. There would not be any basis to filibuster on the causes and effect of these but, to be down the earth of the truth, the selection procedure require evaluation. I think the problem started from the era of General Ibrahim Babangida-retd with the intention of distinguishing public service from university system. Vice chancellors have arrogated to themselves the absolute powers which were further compounded by Committee of Vice Chancellors. In the U.S., U.K, Asian countries etc. their university system does not made Registrars and Bursars a second fiddle officers as against what obtains in Nigeria. Any of the above mentioned officers who intended to enforce professionalism may not be able to sustain what the vice-chancellors would subject such officers to, there are dire straits in the selection process of vice chancellors such that, other officers are subordinates at the expense of the rule of thumb. It is twenty-first day running that OAU staff now report for duty daily at the institutions secretariat over vice chancellor appointment and sundry issues.

There had been enough entropy in the university system because; vice chancellors were made as both the chief executive and accounting officers at the same time. The superiority saga had given birth to avoidable competitions within the system, impunity reigns supreme. What is the role of the education Minister who was not budged as if nothing was happening? Obafemi Awolowo University has been on industrial unrest locally since June second 2016. All these are the product of abused autonomy in universities, should these continue unchecked without sanction? The statute establishing federal institutions should be evaluated, and bring back the glorious days of professionalism. A word should be enough for the wise. Academics should face their academic schedule, Administrative and technical staff should be allowed to flourish, and the none-teaching junior staff should excel in their calling, let us save the scarce public fund resources. [I was chairman SSANU in OAU up till February 2005 when the towel of unionism was thrown off.]

Good observation Mr. @Tajudeed Ejalonibu 2 , I quite agree with your take on the VC selection process and how powerful they have become in our university system of today.

But a quick note, I think there is need for every stakeholders to play its part in order to achieve a better university system and reclaim the glory of 'University of Ife'. From the studnlent angle to Staffs both academic and non academic even stakeholder's.... we've got a lot on our table to do.

Thanks for the insightful piece.

I will prefer that the presidency hands over the selection of those( Ambassadorial candidates) that have federal character to the senate to choose and decide. Afterwards, we could now compare and contrast which of the presidential and senatorial list of ambassadors, lacked federal characters. Simple!

Hehehehe....this is a cool angle. Buhari is moving away from Order of the day....

Back