Sports Nigeria's Aruna Quadri Beats Assar to Qualify for ITTF World Cup

P

ProfRem

Nigeria’s Quadri defeated top-ranked Omar Assar of Egypt in the final of the 2017 ITTF Africa Cup.

Aruna Quadri and Dina Meshref will represent Africa at this year’s International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) World Cup later in the year after an outstanding performance in the ongoing 2017 ITTF Africa Cup.

For the first time in recent times, Nigeria’s Aruna Quadri surmounted his continental rival Assar in the final of the Africa Cup to qualify for the ITTF World Cup in France.

Having conquered Egypt’s Mohamed El-Beiali 4-0 in the semi-final, Quadri showed his class to beat Omar Assar 4-3 in the men’s singles final to the admiration of the mammoth crowd.

Aruna Quadri.JPG

Throughout the encounter, Quadri who played without any coach was calm throughout the encounter, even when Assar was leading, he never gave up the fight.

An elated Aruna Quadri said he believes luck was in his favour as his opponent also played well. “I am so happy and I think luck was in my favour and I look forward to play in the ITTF World Cup later this year in France,” Quadri said.

In the women’s singles final, Olufunke Oshonaike surrendered to Egypt’s Dina Meshref in the final as the Nigerian lost 4-0.

Back