Business Nigeria's CBN Governor Bags 2013 Central Bank Governor Award for Sub-Saharan Africa

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-10-13_14-6-20.png

Malam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) Governor, has bagged the 2013 Central Bank Governor Award for Sub-Saharan Africa.

In his four years in office, this is the third time Sanusi is bagging the award.

The award was conferred on Sanusi by Emerging Market Magazine, an international organisation, on the sidelines of the Annual Meeting of the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF) taking place in Washington DC.

The award is in recognition of Sanusi’s efforts to reduce inflation to a single digit. The CBN has successfully stabilized inflation rate in the country at 10 per cent.

Commenting on the award, Sanusi said it represented the efforts of the about 6,000 staff of the apex bank.

He said, "we have worked day and night through the banking crisis and now we are working toward restoring stability, financial inclusion and payment system transformation.

"It’s a great honor for me because this is going to be my last annual meeting. I thank all my colleagues for their support and the government for the confidence reposed in me.

"I have worked with two wonderful Finance Ministers, Dr Mansur Mukhtar and Dr Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala and I thank them for their support.

"The relations between the CBN and the finance ministry is one that is characterized by bulk of hostility, sometimes interrupted by gunfire, but we have been able to remain good friends and respect each other’s right to agree and disagree".

Still speaking on the award, Dr Sarah Alade, the CBN Deputy Governor on Economic Policy, said "When the world recognizes you among peers, it means that you are doing the right thing.(NAN)

Back