Sports Nigeria's Perpetua Nkwocha Coaches in Sweden

L

LequteMan

Nigerian football star Perpetual Nkwocha is making a new life in Sweden, BBC reports.

The multiple African Women's footballer of the year has seen her playing career take her from Nigeria to China and then to the northern town of Skelleftea in Sweden where she has been for more than seven years.

She is player-coach for a local team, but much of her spare time this winter is being taken up coaching a group of Afghan teenagers, some of the hundreds of young migrants who have arrived in the town in recent months.

The so-called "Football for All" scheme is close to her heart - and she is putting just as much effort into that at the moment.

"I feel that it's similar - which is why I have to try to make them happy, because I know where they came from," she said.

"I feel so glad that I connected with them and we started this project together.

"We try to make them feel welcome, try to make them feel happy, try to make them get friends and associate with other Swedish people"

The project, which has only been running since November, was set up by her club, Clemensnas IF, in co-operation with the local football association and the Swedish church.

Her main role will be to lead Clemensnas to success once the season gets going again in May.

Attachments

• index (1).jpg
    index (1).jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Back