Sports Nobody should blame Keshi for the problems of the Super Eagles - Alloy Agu

Ex international goalkeeper Alloy Agu has leapt to the defence of Stephen Keshi,exonerating him from any blame on the woes of the national team.

Keshi has been hung out to dry by many people who believe that he isn't offering a better tactical input to the Super Eagles.

Nigeria is currently struggling to make it out of their group,lying in third position behind Congo and South Africa who occupy the first two positions.

“I don’t believe anyone should blame Keshi for the problems in the team; there comes a time for a team when things don’t go the way you wish,” Agu told The Punch.

“The most important thing, however, is the state of mind in which Keshi finds himself. The crisis in Nigerian football in recent times is enough to cause distractions for the coach, the players and every other person that contributed to the game.

“It would be unprofessional for anyone who knows about football to solely identify Keshi as the problem of the team.”

He equally backed Keshi's decision on the choice of players he selects for the national team.

“I cannot join those criticising Keshi on player selection. It is unfair to be on one side of the divide and pretend to know everything happening on the other side. I have my own idea of which player I want to see in the team but I don’t have a first-hand experience with these players as much as the coach. Only Keshi knows why he prefers some players to others, and we should respect his opinion.”

Keshi vs Bosnia.gif

Back