Sports Novak Djokovic and Maria Sharapova claim China Open titles

Both Novak Djokovic and Maria Sharapova have claimed the China Open titles in their respective categories.

The world number one successfully defended his men's title after he defeated Tomas Berdych to win in Beijing.

It is the fifth China Open title that Djokovic will be winning,having no difficulty in dispatching Berdych 6-0 6-2.

The Serb made sure the match was one-sided,with his Czech counterpart winning only two games in the whole contest.

"It was probably my best performance in a final," said Djokovic who claimed his first China Open in 2009 and has held the trophy since with the exception of 2011, when he withdrew from that year's competition through injury and Berdych won the title.

Meanwhile in the Women's category,Sharapova saw off the challenge of Petra Kivtova to win the title.

Both players took a set apiece in the first two sets,but it was Sharapova who won the third decisive set to win 6-4 2-6 6-3 .

"It was a bit of an up-and-down match - maybe not the best out of the tournament," said Sharapova. "But it's never easy playing against Petra. You don't always quite get a good rhythm.

"She became the more aggressive player in the second set. I think I took a few too many steps back and let her play that way. But I was able to lift my game again in the third and come out with a win," she added.

rsz_djokovic.jpg

Back