Metro Oba of Benin honours Obaseki for contributions to sports devt.

curator

Administrator
The Benin monarch, Oba Erediauwa, on Monday in Benin gave an award to the former board chairman of the Nigeria Premier League (NPL), Chief Oyuki Obaseki.

The monarch said he honoured Obaseki for his contributions to sports development in the country, "especially his selfless service in the development of football in Africa, Nigeria and Edo in particular".

Erediauwa, who said he had personally monitored Obaseki’s activities when he was NPL chairman, said he was impressed with the remarkable achievements recorded during his tenure.

While urging Obaseki not to relent in supporting sports development, the king also appealed to him to throw his weight behind the newly-constituted interim management board of Bendel Insurance FC.

``I am glad that the likes of Amodu Shaibu, Austin Eguavoen and one of my chiefs, Abel Ehigie, are now to reposition our lovely club, the Bendel Insurance.

``It is not easy to have these notable persons in one club. I thank Gov. Adams Oshiomhole for the initiative.”

In his response to the honour bestowed on him by the monarch, Obaseki said he felt highly honoured to be given an award by the highly-revered monarch.

He however said he would not relent in contributing his quota to the development of sports in Edo and the country at large.

Speaking on the newly-constituted Bendel Insurance interim management board, the former NPL boss said the emergence of the board was a step in the right direction.

``With the calibre of personalities on the board, Insurance will soon be a force to be reckoned with in the Nigerian professional league,’’ he said.

While commending Oshiomhole for the steps taken to revive the club, Obaseki however urged him not to starve the club’s management board of the much-needed fund to execute its plans.

He also tasked corporate organisations in the state to support sports development, saying government alone should not be saddled with funding sports development.

oba12.jpg

Back