Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
A

abujagirl

upload_2013-8-14_11-8-36.png

Former President, Chief Olusegun Obasanjo, yesterday, said his former deputy, Atiku Abubakar; chieftain of All Progressives Congress, APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu; former governors of Delta and Bayelsa states, James Ibori; chieftain of All Progressives Congress, APC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu; and Diepreye Alamieyeseigha, former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Salisu Buhari, have been a curse to Nigeria.

Obasanjo, made this disclosure on Tuesday in a keynote address, at the fourth annual Ibadan Sustainable Development Summit organised by the Centre for Sustainable Development, University of Ibadan, in collaboration with African Sustainable Development Network.

According to Obasanjo, during his administration, there were some politicians who were under 50 years in leadership positions.

Obasanjo said: “One of them was James Ibori. Where is he today? One of them was Alameseigha. Where is he today? Lucky Igbinedion; where is he today?

“The youngest was the Speaker, Buhari. You can still recall what happened to him.

“You said Bola Tinubu is your master. What Salisu Buhari did was not anything worse than what Bola Tinubu did.

“We got them impeached. But in this part of the world, some people covered up the other man. The man claimed he went to Government College, Ibadan, but the governor (Oyo State) went to Government College and packed all the documents, so that they would not know that he did not go there.

“I wanted someone who would succeed me, so, I took Atiku. Within a year, I started seeing the type of man Atiku was. And you want me to get him there?

“They would say they have one house in town, but their five-year old sons and daughters would have houses all over.

“Some of you who are condemning the leadership would get there tomorrow and it will be a different story. Only very few are actually good.

In 1979…

“Abacha, my predecessor got $750 million. Through our lawyer in Switzerland we recovered $1.25 billion and the lawyer still said there is probably still another $1 billion to be recovered. In 1979, we had 20 new ships specially built for Nigeria.”

He lamented that when he came back 20 years after, the national shipping line had gone under.

He said: “The whole thing is not just about leadership. If we talk about good leadership you should also talk about good followers. If you talk about human rights you should also talk about human duties and obligations.”

“It is sad that after 53years of independence we have no leader that we can commend. Then, we are jinxed and cursed; we should all go to hell. The problem in Africa is that when one person takes over, he would not see any good thing that his predecessor did. Let us condemn, but with caution”.

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Ibadan, Prof. Isaac Adewole, in his short address said he was worried about the fate that could befall the country as she holds her general election in 2015.

Former vice president Atiku’s media aide Mallam Garba Shehu, quickly responded Obasanjo’s attack yesterday, saying: “Yes, President Obasanjo is right. He didn’t know Atiku well. It was later he got to know him as a fighter for democracy and defender of the constitution.”

Back