Politics Obasanjo: The Presidential Shoes Were Too Big for Goodluck Jonathan

L

LequteMan

Nigeria's former President Olusegun Obasanjo has stated that Goodluck Jonathan was too small for the Presidential office.

“I saw the emergence of Jonathan as an opportunity to solve the problem of minority agitation," he said in the book, "Against the Run of Play: How an Incumbent President was defeated in Nigeria," written by former presidential spokesman, Segun Adeniyi.

"The three majority ethnic groups in Nigeria can always sort themselves out but not so for the minority. A good example is my state here in Ogun.

“Despite the best of intentions, nobody from Ogun West has been able to become governor because of this minority issue and it will take a conscious effort to make it happen. So, it was in the context of that I had to plead with prominent people in the North to allow Jonathan run for a term.”

“There were certain decisions taken by Jonathan very early in his administration that pointed to the fact that the office was bigger than him and one of them was the appointment of a petroleum minister,” he said.

“Jonathan gave me the impression that he was not going to give her the portfolio but at the end he did and we can see the consequence. He, of course, knew what he was doing,” Obasanjo stated.

He added that he was more of an anti Jonathan than a pro Buhari.

Attachments

• Obasanjo-Jonathan.jpg
    Obasanjo-Jonathan.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 7
Back