Politics Obasanjo's Loyalists Defect to APC

L

LequteMan

obasanjo1.jpg
Loyalists of former President Olusegun Obasanjo in the Peoples Democratic Party have dumped the ruling party for the All Progressives Congress, reports The PUNCH.

Reports said the former President’s supporters, particularly those in the South-West, left the PDP because they felt that they had been sidelined.

They wouldve left early this year, but they were prevailed upon by Obasanjo to remain in the party after the visit of the PDP National Chairman, Alhaji Adamu Mu’azu, to him in Abeokuta on January 26, 2014.

A member of the PDP National Working Committee told punch: “I am aware that their grouse is mainly that they have been sidelined. All the points raised by Obasanjo in his letter to the former PDP chairman, Dr. Bamanga Tukur, have not been addressed.

“We continue to behave as if we do not want the old man and his supporters in the party. Mu’azu promised to address those points when he visited Baba (Obasanjo) in January, but nothing has been done.”

Tukur also removed the party’s National Secretary, Prince Olagunsoye Oyinlola, and the National Auditor, Chief Bode Mustapha, who are staunch supporters of the former President.

When contacted, Ex-National auditor of the PDP, Chief Bode Mustapha said he and his supporters had defected to the APC.

“I cannot continue to remain in a party where injustice is the order of the day; where the leader of the party does not deem it right to address the injustice that was meted out to me; where a person, who did not contest an office, is today occupying the office. They think it is the norm," the Punch quoted him as saying.

“It only smacks of one thing: that I am not wanted in the party; that I am seen as somebody who has no value in the party. Whether I have value or not, we shall see at the polls.

“I left the party on my own free will. Baba Obasanjo is my Baba (father). At the same time, at 64, if I don’t know where I am going, I should know where I am coming from. I should know when to appreciate that I am not wanted in an environment.

But the PDP Chairman in Ogun State, Chief Bayo Dayo, dismissed Mustapha’s threat, saying the former national chairman had no political value.

Last edited:
Back