Politics Odukomaiya Speaks: "Why Abiola Fought Everything Awolowo Stood For"

Vunderkind

Social Member
Odukomaiya1.jpg
Prince Henry Odukomaiya, a former Daily Times editor and pioneer MD of Concord newspapers, in an interview on his 80th birthday with the Vanguard newspaper, reflected on events that have happened.

Speaking on the creation of the Concord and Champion newspapers, he said: "I even gave the papers their names. When MKO’s newspaper was to be named, our opinions were sought at the meeting by Abiola. As the Managing Director/Editor-in-Chief, I was supposed to be the first to speak, but I allowed others to speak. I did that because I learnt so many lessons from my early fall at Daily Times. At an earlier meeting we had with MKO Abiola which Dele Giwa, Doyin Aboaba, Labanji Bolaji and his lawyer friend from Ibadan attended Abiola said we should suggest possible names for the paper. At that point I remembered that Abiola had told me earlier that he wanted a newspaper that will reflect conviviality, congeniality and cordiality; so, I reminded him about these attributes. On that note I suggested Concord. Abiola immediately said, ‘God bless you’. I told him I did nothing magical, that I only got one word out of the three words that he used. That was how the paper came to be named Concord after which we added national to the name."

Click here to read the full interview

Source: #Vanguard

Back