Business Oil Crash: Agriculture is Nigeria's Life-Line - President Jonathan

L

LequteMan

President Goodluck Jonathan, speaking at an agricultural show in Abuja on Friday said agriculture was now the life-line for Nigeria following declining crude oil prices, Thisday reports.

“Agriculture is now the life-line for Nigeria,” he told farmers from around the country gathered at the Eagle Square for the Agribiz.

“As crude oil prices decline, we must create new wealth from the richness of our soil, the vastness of our rivers and the abundance of our labour. We will produce more and industrialise the agricultural sector. That is our total commitment. One area we can say we are doing very well is agriculture.

“Great farmers of Nigeria, you can rely on me as a farmers’ President. Even in my campaigns yesterday, I mentioned it in Benue, that Nigerians should reach out to you, farmers, and if you are not happy with me, they should not even vote for me.”

To this end, he said 750,000 young commercial farmers were being created, with the philosophy being to catch the youth early and change their mindset towards agriculture.

He expressed gratitude to farmers, saying were it not for their efforts that have made all manner of foodstuffs readily available and prices stable, there could have been food riots by now.

Jonathan also revealed how he ended 40 years of corruption that made it impossible for farmers to get fertilizer at government-subsidised rate through the deployment of the now-popular e-wallet.

#Nigeria #Jonathan

goodluck j.jpg

Back