Metro Okonjo Iweala To Receive International Award From Aspen Institute

P

ProfRem

Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the former minister for the economy will be honoured by Aspen Institute

The event is the fifth annual Madeleine K. Albright Global Development Lecture taking Aspen campus.

Mrs. Iweala will be the fifth person to recieve such honour.

In 2016, Mary Robinson, the first female president of Ireland, was also honoured in the same manner.

The lecture, set to hold late Wednesday evening at Paepcke Auditorium, describes Okonjo-Iweala, in recognition, as “an exceptional individual whose vision has provided breakthrough thinking to tackle the challenges of global development”.

images (7).jpg
Okonjo-Iweala will be featured alongside Madeleine Jana Korbel Albright, the former US secretary of state and first woman to assume the position, in a conversation with moderator Peggy Clark of the Aspen Institute.

Recall that last week, the 63-year old was appointed independent non-executive director of Standard Chartered, a British multinational banking and financial services company headquartered in London, England and with presence in 70 countries.

@Samuel Arua ! This your comment is questionable. She worked for it sir. And she's reaping the fruits of her labour with God's favour on her. That one no concern her whether she be igbo or Biafran or hausa or yoruba or efik.. Who culture help? Aim to be like her sir and don't pose like u know her.

Everything is Igboist. How much do you know her?
I don't want to know what you feel. I don't care about your your understanding of Igboist. This is my first time of using the word and you are gasping, it then shows a sign of accumulated aggression but why must it be a problem to you? Is she not an igbo woman? Anyway, I don't care because to you Okonjo Iweala is a Yoruba or Hausa name in your language. Maybe, I need to meet with you for a lecture about her for me to affirm that she is an igboist since you are the one that taught me how to identify my people's tribe. I don't know anything about her because you have not told me who she is, so, I need you to teach me everything about her since you are the one that has been teaching me the biographies of people before I will have to know them.

@Samuel Arua ! This your comment is questionable. She worked for it sir. And she's reaping the fruits of her labour with God's favour on her. That one no concern her whether she be igbo or Biafran or hausa or yoruba or efik.. Who culture help? Aim to be like her sir and don't pose like u know her.
@dammylas, this your comment is not questionable but answerable. It is a cheap one because it is a copied thought. Are you a follow follow or o' yes member? Well, I learnt to appreciate the good efforts of my people and others and that is just what I did. You cannot write about her in Nigeria without mentioning where she comes from. But are you such a human being that do not appreciate your people's good exploits? She represents the igbo race well nationally and internationally and I must be glad and congratulate her. You are the one talking about tribe here and if you do not appreciate your own people, you simply a cowardice. I am posing to know her, please, you that know her should help to teach me.
Copicant.

Last edited:
Please you people should leave mama alone. Anything that has happened to her, she's earned it.
Thank you so much. I never new how my comment turned out to be a blasphemy or profane talk to some co-discussants that made them choose offensive comments instead of congratulating hardwork. So, I decided to give them 1% of my words for them. I am sorry though.

Last edited:
I think it is right and wise to air voices through discussion, argument(if necessary) and convincing(counter opinions) on topics or reports to address national matters and general information on good developments and not resort to verbal assaults. I never meant any harm or to offend anyone by using ''Igboist''. Please, note that I chose the word and will always use it or its synonyms when needed but it can never be intended/targeted at making you uncomfortable here. Pls, bear with me and forgive that decision and lets discuss freely without aggression.

It appears all GEJ'S cabinet are getting high profile international recognition.

If his government was a financial disaster, who was in charge of the economy?

Presidency. Patience Jonathan. And governors too.

Mama Economy wanted to make things happen but she's just one person against a corporation of corruption. She resigned her position during Obasanjo's tenure and returned during Jonathan's.

She had many oppositions, mostly state governors who usually attack her with a plethora of accusations. I don't know if those accusations were right or wrong but it's an open secret that state governors are notorious for looting the treasury.

I'm sure she holds some very powerful secrets too hot to be shared in public.

When she publicly released details of how much each state got from the ECA who took the matter up and ask those state governors how they spent their money?

The same thing is with the Paris Club refund.

- and Atiku is demanding that state governments be made more powerful.

Back