Politics Ondo Governor Mimiko,25 Lawmakers Dump LP For PDP

A

abujagirl

Ondo state Governor, Olusegun Mimiko, members of his cabinet and 25 members of the state house of assembly have officially dumped the Labour Party (LP) for the ruling Peoples Democratic Party, PDP.

Mimiko and his followers were received into the PDP by Vice President Namadi Sambo on behalf of President Goodluck Jonathan at a brief ceremony held inside the Banquet Hall of the Presidential Villa.

Senate President David Mark; the PDP Deputy National Chairman, Chief Uche Secondus and members of PDP National Working Committee were also present during official reception of Mimiko and his supporters into the PDP.

In his speech, Mimiko said that his decision to join the PDP was taken in the overall interest of the people of Ondo and the country at large.

The governor said that the decision enjoyed the endorsement of major stakeholders, including traditional and religious leaders, market men and women, trade unions, community and party leaders.

He said, "We feel compelled to join hands with the tendency that is aboard today in the PDP, led by a president that is as focused as he is patriotic.

"The PDP is a team that has demonstrated so much promise in its commitment to democracy without which the challenges facing our nation cannot be overcome. By providence, I am positioned to speak for the people of Ondo and our collaborators and admirers across the nation.

"And I do not have any doubt whatsoever in my mind that the interest of our people in Ondo, the South West Zone and that of Nigeria too, will be better served in the PDP in the evolving political configuration in our nation.

"It is in the light of the foregoing that I, Dr Olusegun Mimiko, today formally announce the decision of members of National Assembly from the LP in Ondo State, members of the LP in the Ondo State House of Assembly, members of the State Executive Council and indeed all those who share our aspirations, to join the PDP.

"I must confess that it surely was tempting and perhaps more fulfilling to continue as a national leader in our smaller, calmer and quite promising ocean represented by the Labour Party. But this decision to return to the PDP, we have taken in the overall interest of our people and our nation, and its democracy.''

The governor said that his immediate target was to help the process of getting President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan re-elected.

He promised to spearhead the process by creating "a solid and robust platform of involvement in the re-election of the president''.

Responding, Sambo expressed happiness and excitement at Mimiko's defection to the PDP which he described as homecoming.

He expressed hope that the governor's return would help to resolve pending issues in the PDP in the South West.

"You have come to raise the PDP to a higher level both in Ondo and in the South West. You have always been our partner in transformation and indeed your coming back home is deeply appreciated.

"We are confident that with your coming, the issues in the South West are being resolved by the PDP", Sambo said.

Delivering his remarks, the Senate President said that Mimiko had been a PDP member from the beginning, adding that he only went on self exile to the LP.

Mark, who chairs the PDP Re-integration Committee, said that the governor's return would add value to the PDP in Ondo State and in the south west.

Mark advised the governor to return home and reconcile all members of the party in his state.

#PDP #Ondo #Mimiko #LP #DavidMark #Sambo

mimiko joins pdp.jpg

@Jules I hope you intend to vote in the 2015 elections but I wonder how you'll be able to decide who to vote for with this constant cross-carpeting. Do you think there's anything called 100% party loyalty in Nigeria?

THere's nothing like 100% party loyalty in Nigeria, unless you're at the grassroots and still building your way up.

Atiku has defected from one party to another for more than 2 times already.

THere's nothing like 100% party loyalty in Nigeria, unless you're at the grassroots and still building your way up.

Atiku has defected from one party to another for more than 2 times already.
What a shame. Cross-carpeting would have been overlooked if we had an 80% chance of witnessing a true change; one that has never been seen in the history of Nigeria. But @LaPatriot, will our generation experience this?

Back