World Orlando Shooting: Suspect's Father Speaks

P

PressRoom

The father of Omar Mateen, identified by officials as the shooter who killed at least 50 people at an Orlando gay nightclub early Sunday morning, said if he could ask his son one question, it would be: “Why?”

In an interview with ABC News at his home in Fort Pierce, Florida, Seddique Mateen said he was shocked and saddened to learn that his only son was the man authorities say is behind the carnage at Pulse nightclub.

Orlando shooter father.jpg
“I didn’t see anything irregular with him. I saw him yesterday [Saturday] afternoon,” Seddique Mateen said. “It makes me upset, it makes me mad that I didn’t see anything unusual.”

Seddique Mateen and his wife were born in Afghanistan, and moved to the United States before having children. His son was born in New York and grew up in St. Lucie County, Florida. Seddique Mateen told ABC News his son was a family man and a devout Muslim who never showed any signs of extremism, violence or hatred.

“I don’t think he was radicalized,” Seddique Mateen said. “That’s what my gut feeling tells me.”

Related:
Florida Gay Nightclub Shooting: 50 People Killed In Terror Attack
Orlando Massacre: Officials Reveal Shooter's Identity [SEE PHOTOS]

Source: ABCNews

Back