Oscar Awards for Science and Technology Released

Vunderkind

Social Member
The Academy Awards for Science and Technical Awards have just been handed out in a ceremony at Beverly Hills.

The awards, which are held separately from the general Oscars ceremony (billed for 2nd March), recognize more than fifty of the behind-the-scenes science and technical operators.

Joshua Pines – he worked on Coraline – was honored for developing image-processing math to standardize color. In his words, the Oscars event was “this year’s annual Winter Olympics for geeks.”

Christopher Nolan, director of The Dark Knight accepted the film lab Oscar and described film processors as alchemists, because they convert “silver and plastic into dreams.”

The Oscar will be permanently displayed at the Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles when it opens in 2017.

Twenty-one awards were given out that evening, and the Gordon E. Sawyer Award went to Peter W. Anderson for his innovation in 3D technology.

One of the winners, Dan Piponi, recognized for his work with a team in smoke and fire simulation in films like Avatar and Puss in Boots said “Nobody told me if I wanted to get an Academy Award, I should study mathematics.”

The full Academy Awards Ceremony will celebrate the technical achievements of movies like Gravity, Iron Man 3 and Star Trek Into Darkness.

kristen.jpg

The awards were presented by actors Kristen Bell and Michael B. Jordan

Back