Oscar Pistorius the "Blade Runner" Seeks Out of Court Deal with Dead Girlfriend’s Family

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-8-20_11-55-10.png

Oscar Pistorius better known as the Blade Runner has launched a bid to negotiate an out of court deal to pay damages to the parents of his girlfriend whom he killed on Valentine’s Day, a local newspaper reported.

The Blade Runner is expected to go on trial in March, 2014 on murder charges for killing Reeva Steenkamp.

Steenkamp and her half-brother had financially supported their parents, who are pensioners. The parents are reportedly planning to lodge a civil suit claiming three million rand ($300,000) in damages.

The Steenkamp family lawyer Petrus de Bruyn has confirmed discussions were underway, but refused to give details.

“We have both said that we are in talks with each other and that’s all we are prepared to say,” he said.

Pistorius’s lawyer Kenny Oldwage, has however denied knowledge of any such negotiations.

Ah, well. The Steenkamp family has to milk it for what it's worth, I guess. Meanwhile, I wonder if it's actually true, what Oldwage is saying - that Pistorius is gunning for an out-of-court settlement with the family behind his back.

If it is, well, here are my coherent thoughts on the matter: Uh-oh.

This does not affect the criminal case. If he is found guilty in the criminal case then this will be relevant as the family will then pursue a civil case against him.

I am just a frog not a lawyer take this with a 'pinch of salt' as they say.

This does not affect the criminal case. If he is found guilty in the criminal case then this will be relevant as the family will then pursue a civil case against him.

I am just a frog not a lawyer take this with a 'pinch of salt' as they say.
Well. It shouldn't affect the criminal case. My thoughts were on another matter. I was thinking that it's never cool to sideline your own lawyer in these matters.

But then again, the lawyer may also be in the know and keeping mum.

Back