Politics Osinbajo Belittles Nigerian Senate, Says They Don't Conform With Global Standards

P

ProfRem

Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo has faulted the Senate for rejecting Ibrahim Magu as Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, chairman, based on DSS reports claiming that the decision was not in line with global standards.

He said it is not only in Nigeria that lawmakers reject nominees based on reports.

“The president reserves the right to say, ‘this is who I want’. I’m fully in support of Magu as the EFCC chairman just as the president is.”

Prof. Osinbajo, in an interview with journalists in Abuja, cited the nomination of the Attorney-General of the United States, Jeff Sessions who was retained by President Donald Trump despite negative reports.

He added: “You see the American example… There are various reports. People come up with all sorts of things. Look at Jeff Sessions (US attorney-general), for instance. There were many reports. Some accused him of being racist, some of this and that, but he is in office today.”

The Vice President said in the light of Section 171 of the 1999 Constitution, the President can retain Magu as EFCC chairman without confirmation by the Senate.

He said the Constitution is much more superior to EFCC Act which recommends the confirmation of the nominee for EFCC chairman.

Osinbajo and Saraki.JPG

“In that same Section 171, the Constitution rightly said that certain appointments must go to the Senate, such as ministerial and ambassadorial appointments. Those of heads of agencies like the EFCC do not have to go to the Senate. That’s what the constitution says.

“But the EFCC Act, which of course as you know is inferior, says that EFCC chairman should go to the Senate for confirmation.

“I am sure that even a pocket book lawyer knows that when a legislation conflicts with constitution, it’s the constitution that prevails.

“I agree with Mr. Falana that there was no need in the first place to have sent Magu’s name to the Senate, but we did so and it was rejected by the Senate, but I believe that it can be represented”.

Back