Parents Should Make Children's Education Their Priority: US Official

Bolanle Akanji

Maria Brewer, the United States' Deputy Chief of Mission has tasked parents and guardians to make children/wards' education their priority.

This was at the closing ceremony of the annual American Corner Abuja Summer
Reading Programme titled “Dig into Reading" which was attended by at least 135 children from around the FCT.

Excerpt from her speech: “You are here today because you understand that raising children doesn’t end with taking care of their physical needs. Reading with your child every day is how you nurture their minds.

Each book opens new doors, and together you can travel to exciting worlds and new places from the comfort of your home.

And as expensive as kids are to raise, it’s a lot cheaper than visas and plane tickets.

“I have a four-year-old daughter at home and
we read two stories every night. For me, the nightly ritual of tucking her in and reading a book to her is the best part of my day. I encourage everyone here with children in their lives to do the same,” she advised.

The acting Director-General, National Centre for Women Development, Mallam Abdulmalik Dawuda said the programme achieved its purpose and was also an indication of the interest and concern of the US in Nigerian affairs.

Back