Politics PDM Registration, an Act of Mischief – Anenih

A

abujagirl

Tony-Anenih-YNaija1.jpg

Controversy trailing the registration of the Peoples Democratic Movement(PDM) continued yesterday with the Chairman of the Board of Trustees of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Tony Anenih, kicking against the transformation of PDM into a party.

According to Vanguard News, Anenih released a statement titled,“Our PDM is not a Political Party”.

The statement by Anenih read thus: “Reports about the registration of Peoples Democratic Movement, PDM, as a political party by the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, have inundated the polity; and because of my leading role in the formation and nurturing of the Movement, concerned members of the Movement have contacted me to confirm if it was our PDM that has witnessed the transformation.

“After in-depth investigations and extensive consultations with a wide spectrum of the membership and leadership of the PDM, which is just like a pressure group within the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, I consider it moral to use this medium to clarify that the PDM, which some persons, purporting to be interim leaders, secretly and mischievously promoted and succeeded in registering with INEC to operate as a political party, is not our PDM that worked with other political associations to form the PDP in 1998.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the PDM, which we collectively envisioned under the leadership of the late General Shehu Musa Yar’Adua, remains an integral part of the PDP, whose Board of Trustees, I currently chair by the grace of God and the consensus of founding fathers and leaders of our great party.

“I hereby wish to urge those who look up to me for guidance in this circumstance to remain steadfast with me in the task of building a much more united and formidable PDP and to discountenance the registration and treat it as a political trickery which will not survive the test of time.

“Members of the Peoples Democratic Movement, which are working for the unity and success of the PDP and the Federal Government under the able leadership of President Goodluck Ebele Joanthan should not panic. They should, instead, see it as an attempt to undercut our PDM, which was never intended to be and should not be a registered political party within and against the PDP.”

Back