Politics PDP Commences Campaign for Enugu Elections

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-10-18_7-4-33.png

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Enugu State on Thursday, began its campaign for the state’s November 2 council polls.

Presenting the party's flag to the various candidates in Enugu, Governor Sullivan Chime urged them to strive to replicate the dividends of democracy in their councils.

Speaking further, the governor said, "Right from inception, it was a policy of this administration to take the issue of local government administration seriously. We decided quite early to keep to the tenets of the constitution of this country".

"So many states in this country decided to run the local governments as if they were departments of the state government. We still have states in this country that appoint caretaker chairmen".

"Unfortunately, I don’t think anybody has been able to challenge any of these state governments. It is wrong. It should be challenged. I urge serious minded democrats to challenge it".

On the low participation of women in the council polls, Chime said the election was the decision of the people.

"I urge the women not to be discouraged but do not think you will become a chairman because you are a woman. It is the people’s choice. In Enugu State, we treat everyone equally. When it comes to appointive positions, we can consider more women".

Chief Vita Abba, PDP Enugu state chairman, on his part said, "Enugu State is PDP and no other party can survive here. I am certain that the 17 council chairmen will take the state to the next level".

"I urge the chairmen to run an open government; carry everyone along because; I am sure you have won already", the chairman said.(NAN)

Back