Sports Pep Guardiola's Words After Man City's Elimination from the Champions League

L

LequteMan

Manchester City on Wednesday were eliminated from the Champions League as they were run aground by a youthful Monaco side.

The English side lost on away goals after being defeated 3-1 on the night, which made the aggregate score 6-6.

Speaking after the game, Manchester City boss Pep Guardiola, said:
"We played exceptional second half but we forgot to do that in the first. We wanted to defend aggressively. We were better in the second but it wasn't enough.

"Normally we play to a good level but here we didn't. We will learn. The team does not have a lot of experience.

"The second half we had the chances and we didn't take them and that is why we are out. And set-pieces are so important at this level. Barcelona and Real Madrid scored from them last week. We were not there and we were not there in the first 45 minutes.

"We will improve but this competition is so demanding. Sometimes we have to be special and be lucky. We were not."

"I tried to convince them in all the meetings we had to come here, try to attack and score," said Guardiola.

"My mistake was being not able to convince them to do that."

"I did [convince them] in the second half but it was too late.

"All managers make mistakes but I don't think it was down to a tactical mistake.

"It's simple. The difference was between the first and the second half. In the second half we tried to win the game, we tried to play. I did it all my career in that way. But the problem was the first half. We weren't there."

"It's not about the defence. Today was not about that. Why was the second half a problem with the defence?

"Our strikers have to be aggressive and pick the ball up, but we didn't at this crucial time. That's why we are out."

"I came here to win the Champions League. I tried, I tried - and I will try again," he said. "Playing like we have done this season, like in the second half, would have been enough.

This is the first time that a side managed by Guardiola have exited the Champions League at the last-16 stage.

Attachments

• pep guardiola press.PNG
    pep guardiola press.PNG
    256.7 KB · Views: 13
Back