World Pope Francis Grants Catholic Priests Right to Forgive Abortion

P

ProfRem

Pope Francis will allow Catholic priests the power to forgive abortion, he announced in a letter released Monday.

The letter states: "I wish to restate as firmly as I can that abortion is a grave sin, since it puts an end to an innocent life. In the same way, however, I can and must state that there is no sin that God's mercy cannot reach and wipe away when it finds a repentant heart seeking to be reconciled with the Father."

popeF.jpg

"May every priest, therefore, be a guide, support and comfort to penitents on this journey of special reconciliation," the letter continues.

"I henceforth grant to all priests, in virtue of their ministry, the faculty to absolve those who have committed the sin of procured abortion."

Are there some other sins that Pope has not authorized the priests to forgive? :)

Whoever you are, no matter the sins you have committed, Jesus Christ loves you and can forgive you, changing your life totally in the process.

Are there some other sins that Pope has not authorized the priests to forgive? :)

Whoever you are, no matter the sins you have committed, Jesus Christ loves you and can forgive you, changing your life totally in the process.

To do Catholics, might be different

Note his key words "absolve" , he also said" theres no sin God cannot forgive"
As a catholic, I also question a couple of things done in the church which is normal but I dont see the fuss here reason because - Jesus Christ has given such authority to men since he will not always be visibly present with us. Jesus told the apostles - As the father sent me, even so I send you As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”” – John 20 19-23- the priests and others act as a spiritual guide, instructors here on earth.
The book of james and other books re-emphasize my point- “confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.” – James 5:16
@Samguine To cut the story short - The pope/ Priests do not forgive, they absolve - we confess our sins to them to strengthen our will, overcome vice, find peace, and become better individuals. Just like we all have mentors, we have spiritual guides as well.
@RemmyAlex stop misleading us with your title

The problem I have with this is that some people believe that if they haven't confessed to a priest, they can never receive forgiveness. That's an erroneous belief.

As the father sent me, even so I send you As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”” – John 20 19-23- the priests and others act as a spiritual guide, instructors here on earth.

Jesus was not only talking to the apostles. He was also talking to all those who will believe Jesus as Lord and Savior, you inclusive if you are a believer.

In 1st Peter, we have been declared priests :) which means I have the authority to 'absolve' sins too :)

Well, we have fanatics everywhere
The problem I have with this is that some people believe that if they haven't confessed to a priest, they can never receive forgiveness. That's an erroneous belief.

Jesus was not only talking to the apostles. He was also talking to all those who will believe Jesus as Lord and Savior, you inclusive if you are a believer.

In 1st Peter, we have been declared priests :) which means I have the authority to 'absolve' sins too :)

As a catholic, I also question a couple of things done in the church which is normal but I dont see the fuss here reason because - Jesus Christ has given such authority to men since he will not always be visibly present with us.

Jesus told the apostles - As the father sent me, even so I send you As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”” – John 20 19-23- the priests and others act as a spiritual guide, instructors here on earth.

The book of james and other books re-emphasize my point- “confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed.” – James 5:16

WOW.

As a catholic, I also question a couple of things done in the church which is normal but I dont see the fuss here reason because - Jesus Christ has given such authority to men since he will not always be visibly present with us. Jesus told the apostles - As the father sent me, even so I send you As the Father has sent me, so I send you.” And when he had said this, he breathed on them and said to them, “Receive the holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained.”” – John 20 19-23- the priests and others act as a spiritual guide, instructors here on earth.
@Samguine To cut the story short - The pope/ Priests do not forgive, they absolve - we confess our sins to them to strengthen our will, overcome vice, find peace, and become better individuals. Just like we all have mentors, we have spiritual guides as well.
@RemmyAlex stop misleading us with your title

@ese I think there are lines here. First, " 'absorb' those that have committed abortion", even to a layman, this means 'take them in', 'forgive them' which can even be deduced from the 1st paragraph of the said letter.

We shouldnt shy away from Pope's statement, I see nothing wrong in it as doctrine differs.

I awaits the Pope's media team to denounce the letter and the intention of the letter.

Bottom line, forgive and forget and bring repented abortionist back to the church folds. :)

lol, dont just read the surface sir, we have been declared priest doesnt mean we are because we have done/are still doing things that are not Godly. This doesn't mean priests dont sin. The literal meaning is better explained in Exodus 19. God told Moses to tell the Israelites that if they kept his covenant, they would be a chosen people, royal priesthood and a holy nation. so 1 Peter is reminding them of God's covenant to Moses.
BTL - You are not a priest :)

yes true doctrines differ, but we have totally misintepreted what the Pope said - read the content - absolve is different from forgive. Absolve is just like a judge and the accused - theres no forgiveness happening there. any catholic in the house, I am in the mood of lecturing. @curator @Jules @airstar @Oluogunjobi
@ese I think there are lines here. First, " 'absorb' those that have committed abortion", even to a layman, this means 'take them in', 'forgive them' which can even be deduced from the 1st paragraph of the said letter.

We shouldnt shy away from Pope's statement, I see nothing wrong in it as doctrine differs.

I awaits the Pope's media team to denounce the letter and the intention of the letter.

Bottom line, forgive and forget and bring repented abortionist back to the church folds. :)

lol, dont just read the surface sir, we have been declared priest doesnt mean we are because we have done/are still doing things that are not Godly. This doesn't mean priests dont sin.

Your statement is contradictory. If we have been declared priests, then we are priests.
We were made priests not because we don't commit errors, but because we accepted Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

The literal meaning is better explained in Exodus 19. God told Moses to tell the Israelites that if they kept his covenant, they would be a chosen people, royal priesthood and a holy nation. so 1 Peter is reminding them of God's covenant to Moses.

The epistles of Peter were not written to the Isrealites, but to believers of Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 1:1 - Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to God’s elect...
2 Peter 2:1 - Simon Peter, a servant and apostle of Jesus Christ, to those who through the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ have received a faith as precious as ours...

BTL - You are not a priest :)

Yes I am :)

One of my friends commented: 'Good news, hope he forgives himself for breathing Oxygen.' :)

@RemmyAlex better title should have been: Pope Francis Grants Catholic Priests Powers to Forgive Abortion

Back