Entertainment Popular Nigerian Designer Tope Abiola in Hot Mess

A

abujagirl

Tope Abiola of Frock It Rock It (FnR) is currently trending on Social network for allegedly designing a bad dress for a client and being rude when the client complained.

The drama started after Twitter user @ObzStar came online to share her friend's experience with Tope Abiola. She posted screenshots of the dress her friend expected and what she got. She also posted screenshots of their conversations.

See post below:

tope wahala.jpg
tope wahala2.jpg
tope wahala3.jpg
tope wahala4.jpg

The singer who has clothed popular celebrities like Beyonce and Genevieve Nnaji took to Instagram post to respond although she took down the posts almost immediately [not before we got it].

See screenshot and full text below:

Tope dress.PNG

I never started FnR for money. We make dress every week and some fit perfect and some don't and will need amending. A client contacted me via email and told me she was pregnant and was coming to make her reception dress. She arrived to the studio and I saw she was heavily pregnant. My first question to her was why did she choose me because the style she wanted was very different from my regular style. I asked her to change her style, I asked her if we could make it more fitted because regardless she couldn't hide her belly. I asked if we could have a more visible slit so it could be a little sexier.I also insisted she stayed in Lagos for a fitting. She said she would. I sent fabric options and she choose her fabric. She made payment and paid for the express service. She was involved in the whole process.

She then told me she wouldn't be coming in for the fitting. I spoke to her told I wasn't comfortable and wanted her to do a fitting and she was paying a lot of money for her dress and I don't do refunds. I told her I was traveling and really swamped but I would even start the dress straight away so it can be ready quicker. She stated she would sort it out. She had someone that could fix it. I always explain to the client so the client knows where and how their money is being spent. I also know why in some cases I insist on fittings. For a pregnant bride, it's important. During the fitting, we can change what isn't liked and fit the dress as well as possible. That same week, I had 2 pregnant brides and one came in from out of Lagos because I insisted on the fitting and left happy. I apologize again as I did when I called from Dubai and back in Lagos. I don't turn up the hem of my dresses because I prefer the unrefined look. The original picture also doesn't have the hem turned in. I explained this to her. She doesn't know I have this picture of the dress on the mannequin and I am so thankful I took this picture before her dress was picked up.

The bride's friend has since countered her claims that the customer was heavily pregnant during the sewing process. See post below:

tope mess.PNG

Back