Politics Powerful forces manipulating national conference — Tunji Braithwaite - PUNCH

Vunderkind

Social Member
Dr. Tunji Braithwaite has been a lawyer for over 50 years. He is also an activist, former presidential candidate and a delegate at the ongoing national conference. In this interview with LEKE BAIYEWU, he speaks on why the confab may fail, insecurity and corruption in Nigeria

You repeatedly said if a national conference was not convoked before 2015, the planned general elections would not hold. Now that it is ongoing, do you think all will be well with the country now?

It is true that President Goodluck Jonathan finally bought – I’m using the word bought deliberately – into the idea of convoking the national conference. We must give him kudos for that. But – and this is a big but – the way the national conference is going, it might unfortunately not produce the desired results. It appears to me that the conference is not free-running. A lot of other conferees have complained to me that it appears to them, just as it is to me, that some forces, either in the Presidency or elsewhere, have a pre-fixed goal for the conference. That is the danger that I see. Otherwise, this conference should give the people of this country renewed hopes and aspirations for a reconstructed Nigeria.

Click here to read more

Source: #PUNCH

Attachments

• Dr-Tunji-Braithwaite--360x225.jpg
    Dr-Tunji-Braithwaite--360x225.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 6
Back