Politics Presidency: Jonathan Never Signed One Term Agreement

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-8-20_6-55-23.png

Ahmed Gulak

The Presidency on Monday insisted that President Goodluck Jonathan did not sign any agreement with any individual or group that he would serve only one term in office.

Ahmed Gulak,Special Adviser to the President on Political Matters, said this in an interview with pressmen in Abuja.

Gulak was reacting to a statement credited to the spokesman of the Arewa Consultative Forum, Anthony Sani, on Monday.

Sani had said, “Our understanding of the G-5 governors is that they want governors to be carried along in the management of their party; they want internal democracy and they want an end to divisions within the party, and for President Jonathan to respect agreements he entered into voluntarily with stakeholders.”

The Niger State governor had a few months ago claimed that the President, before the 2011 elections, signed an agreement that he would serve only one term of four years.

But Gulak told pressmen that he had challenged Aliyu to produce a copy of the agreement and the governor had not been able to take up the challenge, seven months after.

He said, “Rather than insisting on an agreement that does not exist – since anybody can contest for the highest office in the land, those who are so interested should declare their interest and contest.

The big question here is: why in heaven's name would Jonathan sign that kind of agreement in the first place? Please. I don't believe he signed anything either.

The big question here is: why in heaven's name would Jonathan sign that kind of agreement in the first place? Please. I don't believe he signed anything either.
When you desperately seek power, anything is possible. I'm not saying he signed it...

But even if he signed it, it's not binding, is it? If he says to his party, "I want to run again, even though I sighed a one-term agreement," what's the worst they can do? Drag him to court? Over the signed agreement? Will it hold? I don't know.

Back