Metro Ramadan: How To Get Ready For Ramadan By Muhammad Alshareef

M

mrsam

Ramadan is coming up!!!

So right about now, people start thinking about all the chores…

- what am I going to cook?
- how will I function at work with these hours?
- how am I acing my exams on an empty stomach?

With all these food and scheduling preps, the most important preparation is for you to come out a stronger Muslim than you were going in.

ram.jpg

Now some think that means speed reading the Quran beginning to end, staying up all night, or hosting iftar parties everyday.

Let me help you break it down to 3 general areas of focus.

1. Quran. The goal in this month is to strengthen your relationship with the words of Allah.

To you that may mean improving your reading fluency, memorizing a certain portion, or learning the deep meanings of Surat X.

Whatever it is, set a slightly unrealistic goal and make Dua for it all Ramadan.

2. Dua. Ramadan is the month of ultimate Dua making.

Take the time out right now to prepare the BEST Dua of your life. Have two lists - a comprehensive one that you could spend all night making, and a short list of top 6 Duas you can make on the go at different times of the day.

3. Sadaqa. It is after all the month of FEEDING, not eating.

Prepare small acts of charity and distribute them throughout the month. It’s better to be consistent with little acts over 30 days than to overwhelm yourself with one big act of charity.

The Prophet (ﷺ) would ramp up his fasting in the month before Ramadan.

Usamah bin Zaid said, “O Messenger of Allah, I do not see you fasting any month as much as Shaban.”

The Prophet (ﷺ) replied, “That is a month to which people do not pay much attention, between Rajab and Ramadan. It is a month in which the deeds are taken up to the Lord of the worlds, and I like that my deeds be taken up when I am fasting." [Sunan an-Nasa’i]

There are multitudes of narrations about the Prophet (ﷺ) fasting in the month of Shaban, joining it with Ramadan.

Fasting in this month gets your body ready for Ramadan.

Here are other tips to get physically prepped

>> start reducing your caffeine intake
>> prepare a healthy meal plan (do some research!)
>> reduce meal portions to a healthier size
>> regulate your sleep
>> go shopping now so you’re not distracted during Ramadan

With best wishes to see you succeed at the highest level

~Muhammad Alshareef

Back