Business Reaction: Nigerians Criticize Petrol Price Cut

L

LequteMan

Nigeria- Following FG's lowering of pump price of petrol to N87/litre yesterday, several Nigerians have expressed a wide range of emotions and reactions to the development.

Some believe it's a good step in the right direction, others are sceptical.

Popular Opinions

General Muhammadu Buhari, APC's presidential candidate condemned the action, saying: "Deregulation is the solution, not increased subsidy payments."

Senator Bukola Saraki who had been agitating for a reduction celebrated on Twitter: “Change is indeed possible. Few hours ago, Joined other Nigerians to demand that PMS price be reduced. Just heard it has been reduced to N87.″

Social Commentator, Japheth Omojuwa says “From paying virtually no subsidies, the Nigerian government has now fashioned out away to pay N10/litre subsidies”.

Writer Tolu Ogunlesi on Twitter said: “One Day One Surprise. First, Maiduguri. Now, Petrol. Wednesday: VAT cancellation. You’ll say I said so”.

According to Gbenga Olorunpomi President Jonathan is playing into the hands of his opponent, “Only after the election has been lost will they agree but GEJ IS Buhari’s biggest campaigner. Argue with your generator”.

Facebook

On NigerianBulletin's Facebook page , Johnramesh Godfrey says: "I dont think, the cost of importing is up to seventy naira. We need details of subsidy paid"

According to Felix Abaziem, "this strategy is fraudulent, it will not work. If u want Naija to praise u withdraw the re-election bid. CHANGE!

Joel Abeku was skeptical: "Is too late to cry when d head is off. I will never forget 1 Jan, that badluck inflicted hardship on nig for increasing pump price. Buhari will further reduce it not because of electoral gains"

Jeremiah Obinna wants the new price to become effective immediately: "They announced the reduction and still some stations are selling at 97. The people that want change are themselves corrupt"

Nairaland

According to DaBullIT, a "Nairalander" there's nothing great about this news, first because it's long over due

"Secondly , 10 fourking naira ? ? ? WTF ... BARREL of OIL is less than half the price it used to be , I expected the pump price to be reduced by at least 40 naira."

He also criticized the reduction coming just as the presidential elections are around the corner.

Most of the users also said the price cut is coming too late and were of the opinion that the amount being cut was too small.

#Nigeria #Petrol

petrol.jpg

Back