This scenario: I was in class one day and my lecturer, who was Chairman of a particular local Gov't in Nigeria said: 'Why should I still from government coffers, when I can lodge in a friend' s house in New York instead of the the first class accommodation the state government pays for'.

I WOULD RATHER VISIT A FAMILY FRIEND IN New Year and pocket the hospitality fund, he said, back then. Is this stealing/corruption?

The state gave you a first class accommodation, but you didn't use that but lodged with a friend instead and pocketed the money. That is first class corruption.

If you cannot stay in the first class apartment, tell the state so, so they ca give you the amount for that class of apartment you want to stay.

If the government gives you fund for something and you use a less expensive one and pocket the change, you are lying, cheating and stealing from the govt. You are not different from Babchir Lawal :D

For me, my conscience... What seems right to me might be wrong to you.
Some people does not have a conscience, so we cannot use that to judge.

If you cannot publicly and boastfully tell people what you have done, then it is wrong.

This scenario: I was in class one day and my lecturer, who was Chairman of a particular local Gov't in Nigeria said: 'Why should I still from government coffers, when I can lodge in a friend' s house in New York instead of the the first class accommodation the state government pays for'.

I WOULD RATHER VISIT A FAMILY FRIEND IN New Year and pocket the hospitality fund, he said, back then. Is this stealing/corruption?
The politician is expected to remit the money to the government since it wasn't used for the purpose meant for. He isnt different from the person who stole a million dollars because they all started from somewhere. Through that act, he isn't accountable as far as governance is concerned or better still, the money can be used be used for something better. This is still the same corruption that has eaten deeply into our system. Let's do what is right and stop painting the wrong thing to right.

In life, opportunity comes but once.
You never knew when such will happen again.

I will advise to take the money because if you return the money to your boss, he would give you nothing and God will even punish you for returning the money.

Good day

Yes, it is dishonesty/stealing. Though it may not be easy to to return the discount given to your boss. But if you can do it, this will earn you good things from God and even from your boss more than the said amount you want to keep.

Back