Rita Dominic: 7 Things Every Nigerian Should Know

P

PressRoom

Rita Uchenna Nkem Dominic Waturuocha is one of the most recognizable and respected actresses in the Nigerian film industry. She has appeared in over 80 movies, and acclaimed for her ability to thoroughly embody the characters she portrays. Here is a look at some things about her.

Rita 2 -.PNG

1. Rita was born on July 12, 1975 into the royal Eze Nwaturuocha’s family in Aboh, Mbaise local government area of Imo State, Nigeria.

2. She is the last of four children, her parents late Dr. and Mrs. Dominic Waturuocha nurtured her early interest in the arts especially acting and dance.

3. Rita attended secondary school at Federal Government College in Ikot Ekpene, Akwa Ibom State and went on to graduate from University of Port Harcourt, Rivers state with a BA degree in Theatre Arts in 1999.

4. In 1998, Rita moved to Lagos to join the Nigerian film industry now widely know as Nollywood. Her first role was lead female in Basorge Tariah’s production titled “My Guy” directed by Obi Osotule and also starring comedian Ali Baba.

5. Some of her more memorable roles include Izu Ojukwu’s much anticipated film titled “76”, “Shattered”, the Kenyan film that won her Best Actress in the 2012 Africa Movie Academy Awards and the East African Kalasha Awards, “The Meeting” which has not only won her multiple acting accolades awards but also sky rocketed her popularity among Nollywood movie lovers. Others films are “White Waters”, “Distance Between” “Streets of Calabar and Tchidi Chikere’s Nollywood classic “All my life”.

6. In 2012, Rita co-produced her first film “The Meeting” for the The Audrey Silva Company (TASC) which she co-founded with renowned Nigeria director Mildred Okwo. Even though the screen siren considers acting her foremost priority, she has brought the same zeal to production. Her debut co-production credit in “The Meeting” has earned her multiple awards including the prestigious “New Era Award” at the 2014 AMVCA awards and 2015 Best Producer in Comedy.

7. Rita’s favorite saying is: “It is about the work. If you are an actor, one should be able to look at your body of work and find you worthy to be called an ACTOR. It is a title that I do not take for granted”.

Back