Politics Road: Fashola Is Frustrating My Efforts - Ambode

P

PressRoom

Lagos state governor, Akinwunmi Ambode, yesterday at a press conference described the road linking Oshodi to the Murtala Muhammed International Airport as a “national embarrassment”, accusing the ministry of works, power and housing of frustrating efforts of his administration to reconstruct the road. Ambode's predecessor, Babatunde Raji Fashola, Nigeria's Ministry of Works, Power and Housing.

Ambode said despite having the funds to repair the road, the ministry of power, works and housing has insisted on repairing it.

“The road linking Oshodi to the International Airport, you would all agree with me, is a national embarrassment. In the spirit of the regeneration and urbanisation that this administration has set out to achieve, we believe strongly that the image that is exhumed by the decadence of that road must be repaired and we took it upon ourselves to appropriate the 2017 budget that the house of assembly should approve the total reconstruction of the airport road from Oshodi,”

“The state currently has a design of 10 lanes to come from Oshodi to the international airport with interchange and flyover that would drop you towards the local airport.

upload_2017-3-9_8-24-12.png

“The contractor is already set to go, and everything, as I said has been completed and we already have the cash, but we are having challenges with the federal ministry of works and housing. This is a federal and not a state road. The federal ministry of works believes that they should do the road, but they have not been able to do it all these years past.”

He lamented that despite the fact that the federal government was indebted to the state to the tune of N51 billion, the state government’s effort to immediately transform the airport road to world class standard was being frustrated.

Ambode said if given the approval, his administration was ready to hit the ground running and begin construction of the airport road within two weeks and finish same within a period of six months.

He also implored the federal government to avail the state of the N2bn which it appropriated for the airport road in the 2017 budget.

Back