Sports Robin Van Persie criticises Manchester United teammates

In the wake of their 2-0 defeat away at Olympiakos last night,Manchester United striker Robin Van Persie has blasted his team-mates for his lack of goals return in the game.
United are in a precarious position of crashing out in the UEFA Champions League after losing the first leg of the clash with their Greek opponents.

Van Persie blamed his team-mates for getting in his way in the game,which forced him to change his tactics in order to find space in attack.

The Dutchman had his team's best chance of the game but wasted the opportunity to have nicked an away goal for his team.

"It was quite difficult because my team-mates are often in the area where I want to play," he said.

"That's why I have to change my tactics. Unfortunately, they are often in my area.

"It was much too slow and we only had one shot on target in the whole match against Olympiakos, which is far too little. Everyone is very disappointed."

But he is optimistic that they can turn the corner in the return leg at Old Trafford next month.

"It is still possible, because with all due respect to Olympiakos, we should be able to win 3-0 at home," he added.

"It is not that they were fantastic, we just mostly failed."

United's manager David Moyes admitted that they were poor in the match and took responsibility of his team defeat.

"It's the worst we've played in Europe, that's for sure. A really poor performance tonight. We never got going from the start and we didn't deserve anything because of the way we played tonight.

"We just never really got to grips with things. To a man, you could hardly pick anyone out, we just didn't perform. We came into the game in good form, a good mind set, but we didn't show that tonight.

"I still didn't think we were necessarily two goals worse off in the game. We had a shot that gets deflected, but we didn't offer enough on the night.

"I take responsibility, it's my team and I'll always front it up. We didn't play well tonight and we have to play better. We can do. The one good thing is that there is the second game to go.

"The players are hurting as well. They know how they performed. But there is a team here, that won't change, and we'll stick together.

"There is the second game to come and Old Trafford has seen some great nights in the past - I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing another one."

rsz_asg-016904.jpg

Back