Sports Ronaldo wins 2013 Ballon d'or award

SPX-031940.jpg

Real Madrid player Cristiano Ronaldo has been named as the winner of the 2013 Ballon d'or award.

The Portuguese emerged as the winner of the award beating Barcelona's Lionel Messi and Bayern Munich's Franck Ribery to land the coveted prize.

Ronaldo had an outstanding 2013 campaign scoring 66 goals in 56 games played last year.

The 28-year old will now replace Messi as the World's best player,who has won it consecutively in the last four years.

Instrumentally Ronaldo played a pivotal role in helping Portugal qualify for the 2014 World Cup,scoring four goals in the play-off against Sweden in November.

A teary eyed Ronaldo on winning the award said: "First of all I have to say a great thanks to all of my team-mates with the club and the national team. Without all of their efforts this would not have been possible. I am very happy, it is very difficult to win this award," Ronaldo said.

However one of the highlights of the evening was the awarding of former Brazilian football great,Pele with a special FIFA Ballon d'or award.

FIFA Awards:
FIFA Ballon d'Or winner: Cristiano Ronaldo
FIFA Women's Player of the Year: Nadine Angerer
FIFA Ballon d'Or Prix d'Honneur: Edson Arantes do Nascimento (PELE)
FIFA Puskas Award 2013: Zlatan Ibrahimovich
FIFA Fair Play Award 2013: Afghanistan
FIFA World Coach Men Football 2013: Jupp Heynckes( Former Bayern Munich Coach)
FIFA World Coach Women Football 2013: Silvia Neid (Germany)
FIFA Presidential Award 2013: Dr Jacques Rogge
FIFPro World XI 2013: Manuel Neuer(GK),Philip Lahm,Sergio Ramos,Thiago Silva,Dani Alves,Andres Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez, Franck Ribery, Cristiano Ronaldo, Zlatan Ibrahimovich, Lionel Messi.

Back