Running for Nigeria was a big mistake – Gloria Asunmu

C

Chris Maduewesi

One of the Nigerian athletes at the ongoing World Athletics Championship,Gloria Asunmu has blasted that she regrets her decision to run for Nigeria.
Asumnu said it was a big mistake on her part to have switched allegiances to represent Nigeria,when she could have chosen to represent the United States of America,by virtue of her dual citizenship.
“Choosing to run for Nigeria was a decision I thought I made for the better but in turn I’m starting to think it was a big mistake,’’ she wrote on her Facebook wall on Thursday.
“It’s not (the Athletic Federation of Nigeria) set up for you to be the best you can be,’’ she added.
She was voted the Tulane University’s 2007 Female Student-Athlete of the Year and stressed that since turning up for Nigeria she has retrogressed.
She further stated her anger on Twitter: “Who would of(sic) known representing Nigeria would be so stressful,” she wrote on Twitter.
And went further to criticise the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN) ” It’s almost like you’re set up to fail.”
“They always want to discuss change when truth of the matter is its getting worse”
“Everyone is so money hungry it’s a shame,” she added.
But a spokesman of the AFN said : “I don’t believe that she said what has been credited to her but if she did, then it is unfortunate. Just 48 hours ago she held a meeting with the people that matters in sports here in Moscow where she discussed her problems with them and they promised to address all the grievances she and others aired,’’ Head of Media and Communications at the AFN Olukayode Thomas was quoted as saying on The Punch.
Asumnu raced for Nigeria in the Women’s 100m event and crashed out in the semifinal of the competition.
Note : Golria Asunmu in the picture above,is the second athlete from the right with number 334

Continue reading...

Back