Samsung Galaxy Note 7 Recall: Everything You Need To Know

P

PressRoom

In spite of its universally positive reviews, Samsung's latest top end smartphone has been recalled after reports that the handset can ignite or explode while charging. The battery issue has prompted a mass recall of all Note 7s – roughly 2.5 million units since the new phablet launched on 19 August – and Samsung has temporarily halted sales. Here’s what you need to know about the recall and how to handle it with your own Note 7.

Samsung S7.PNG

Should I keep using my Note 7?

You need to understand that even though Samsung is recalling every phone it has sold, that doesn’t mean that every phone is at risk of having a battery failure.

From Samsung’s announcement of the recall, there have been 35 cases of the issue, out of over a million phones sold but that doesn’t mean your phone has the same problem. Samsung isn’t saying one way or the other what current Note 7 owners should do. Depending on where you bought your Note 7 from, you may have to wait a while to get a fresh one.

From Samsung’s announcement of the recall, there have been 35 cases of the issue, out of over a million phones sold but that doesn’t mean your phone has the same problem. Samsung isn’t saying one way or the other what current Note 7 owners should do. Depending on where you bought your Note 7 from, you may have to wait a while to get a fresh one.

What’s causing phones to be recalled?

Samsung’s official statement on the recall says that the issue relates to the battery cells used in some Note 7s, which confirms earlier reports of phones catching fire and exploding. Low-quality battery cells are susceptible to overheating and failing when charged and used heavily.

How do I know if my Note 7 has been recalled?

Rules about how customers with recalled products are notified and handled differ by country, but in general it is expected that all owners will be notified of the recall. Currently, people are just finding out from news agencies and the news is getting around quickly.

According to Android Central a recent example of the Shield Tablet recall over similar issues shows just how this can be handled: customers are notified or can go to a website to check if their tablet (or in this case phone) is being recalled, and can quickly find out what to do with it and how to receive a replacement.

Retailers and carriers have handled things differently in various parts of the world, but for the most part have now figured out a process for taking in old Note 7s.

It seems China is one place where the Note 7 hasn’t been recalled, as reports are claiming that a different battery supplier was used in China.

What do I do with my recalled Note 7?

As is the case with any other product recall — phones and tablets in particular — you should follow the instructions set out by Samsung, the carrier or retailer you bought it from for the recall as soon as you can. It's incredibly frustrating to have to give up your phone, but there's a reason why it's being recalled and that means you should follow it.

---
PS: This is a constantly evolving story that we will update as soon as we have the information at hand.

Source: AndroidCentral

Back