Business Samsung Smart TVs Can 'Spy Into Users' – WikiLeaks

P

ProfRem

The WikiLeaks has revealed that Samsung smart TVs and other electronics are capable of spying of users.

The revelations also indicated that the CIA purportedly has the capacity to break into our everyday consumer electronics, still unverified when this story was published, raises that very troubling question.

“I am in general distrustful of leaks of this nature,” says attorney Chris Dore, a partner at Edelson PC in Chicago, which specializes in consumer privacy, technology and data security.

“But from what I know of data security issues and privacy issues at the consumer products level, I have no doubt that hackers can do this and certainly the CIA and NSA are capable of doing this type of thing.”

SamsungSmartTV.JPG

According to the WikiLeaks data dump, CIA hackers could break into iPhones, Android phones, PCs running Microsoft Windows and Samsung smart TVs, and exploit the microphones inside such electronics.

Apple issued a statement late Tuesday saying the company is "deeply committed to safeguarding our customers' privacy and security," and adding that many of the issues leaked "were already patched in the latest iOS" software.

WikiLeaks documents says the Samsung TV could be placed into a "fake-off" mode, duping the consumer into thinking the TV was turned off while in fact conversations were being secretly recorded, and then sent via the Internet to a "a covert CIA server."

Source: USA Today

Attachments

• SamsungSmartTV.JPG
    SamsungSmartTV.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 13
Back