Sports Sandro Rosell resigns as Barcelona's president over Neymar's acquisition

T

Titilope Adeuja

Sandro Rosell has resigned from his position as president of Barcelona Football Club following a court’s decision to open investigations into the signing of Brazilian superstar, Neymar Jr. in 2013.

Barcelona today called for an emergency meeting of board members where Rosell tendered his resignation from his post.

Judge Pablo Ruz had ordered an opening of the investigation into Barcelona’s signings over the misappropriation of funds to the tune of 58 million pounds with a decision to call up the president to give evidence at a later date.

Speaking on his resignation,Rosell said: "In recent days, in addition, an unfair and reckless accusation of misappropriation has resulted in a lawsuit against me in the High Court. Since the first time I said that the signing of Neymar Junior is correct and that recruitment has caused despair and the envy of some of our opponents, "said Rosell at the press conference.

"This board is a team. And this leads a project team that has given great results. Unfair attacks does not want management and adversely affect the image of the Club. Which is why I think my time is over here," he added.

Most of Rosell's undoing was perceived as the falling out with his predecessor Juan Laporta,and also the advertising on Barcelona's jersey.

Vice-president Josep Maria Bartomeu will now take over from Rosell with immediate effect.

It is believed that Barcelona paid way over the odds to acquire Neymar,with his father said to have pocketed over 40 million Euros from the deal.

Neymar.jpg

Additional writing from Christopher Maduewesi

Last edited:
Back