Politics Sanusi to Jonathan: You Can Suspend Me, but You Can’t Suspend the Truth

Vunderkind

Social Member
Lamido-Sanusi-Emotional.jpg

Sanusi Lamido Sanusi has granted a video interview after news of his suspension went on news airwaves. In an interview with CNBC Africa, CBN Governor Sanusi Lamido Sanusi speaks on the issue of his suspension:

When asked if he had received appropriate notice of his suspension, he said he received word from his office that he had a letter waiting for him. However, “I flew in this morning to Niamey along with other Governors of West African Central Banks to meet with the President of Niger and President of Ghana…Fortunately, I came in with my VP Sarah Alade whom I have been asked to hand over to. I have left the meeting to hand over to her. I have just met the Nigerian Ambassador to Niger who confirmed to me that the President asked him to inform me of the decision.”

On the accusation by the president of various acts of financial recklessness and misconduct, Sanusi says he has no idea what they are talking about. He says that when he returns to Nigeria, he will see what the allegations are. He noted that whatever issues that will be raised will not be issues that haven’t been raised before. He stated that his suspension was the consequence of decisions he had taken. His words: “this is something that is long overdue. I am surprised it took them so long.”

He also said that he was concerned about the safety of the Nigerian market, “Basically, my concern is for the safety of the market…I have had a wonderful time in service to my country. I would not want to see all of my work unraveled. No individual is worth it.”

When he was asked if he thought his suspension was politically motivated, Sanusi said: “It is not for me to comment. I am not sure that erm… I think the answer to that is obvious…there is a legal question of whether the president has the authority to suspend the Governor and whether suspension is not removal. It will be helpful to establish the principles by court.

Even if I challenge it, I will not go back to the job. Even if I challenge it successfully, I will not go back to it. I think it will be in the interest of the institution for the courts to establish once and for all if the president has the powers to do this… If it is not challenged, the next Central Bank Governor cannot be independent with fear of being suspended by a politician. I do plan to have the courts confirm if indeed that authority exists and I will challenge it.”
WATCH FULL VIDEO INTERVIEW

Last edited by a moderator:
Back