Politics Senate Leader Confident Devolution of Powers Will Enhance Rapid Growth in Nigeria

L

LequteMan

Senate Leader, Sen. Victor Ndoma-Egba, says that devolution of powers from the Federal Government to the State Governments will enhance rapid growth of the country.

Ndoma-Egba, representing Cross River Central Senatorial Zone on the platform of PDP, said this on New Year day in Calabar in an interaction with journalists.

He said that the long years of military rule had foisted on Nigeria a unitary system with a strong Federal Government while the federating units had become weaker.

''I believe there should be devolution of powers. With long years of military rule, powers were over centralised.

''So, I support a stronger federating units and a less strong centre. We must take more powers to the federating units.''

The senate leader said that the current administration was doing its best to address various issues confronting the nation.

''The problems of Nigeria were not caused by President Goodluck Jonathan.

''The President is doing his honest best just like those before him had done their best and those after him will also do their honest best,'' the lawmaker said.

On cross-carpeting by some politicians, he said there was nothing wrong in the movement of politicians from one political party to another, describing it as democratic process.

He said that while some politicians defected from the ruling PDP to other parties, some politicians would also defect to the PDP in the New Year.

''I am convinced that the movement will continue in the New Year with some politicians also moving to the PDP,'' he said.

nigeria.jpg

Back