Sports Serena Beat Venus Williams, Progress To US Open Semi Finals

Top seed Serena Williams has described her elder sister, Venus Williams as her toughest opposition since the day she started playing Tennis professionally.

Serena Venus.jpg
The two sisters clashed at the quarter final stage of the US Open, but it was the younger Williams that made it through to the last four of the women's category of the tourney.

Serena beat Venus 6-2, 1-6, 6-3 in a game that lasted for about one hour, thirty-eight minutes early Wednesday morning to set up a semi final clash against Italian Roberta Vinci.

If the 33-year old Serena wins this US Open, she will be the second woman to have won all four major grand slams in a calendar year, a feat first achieved by Steffi Graf in 1988.

Serena, who has won three grand slams already this year said she expects to knock Roberta Vinci out early just like Mayweather would have beaten Andre Berto before some even get to find their sits in the audience.

“It’s a really great moment,” Serena said, Venus having already scooted to the locker room. “She’s the toughest player I’ve played in my life and the best person I know. It’s going against your best friend. When I’m playing her I don’t think of her as my sister, because she’s hitting it so well. Holding serve in the third set was all I could do. She was just blasting it. It wasn’t really easy today at all. We just tried to give everyone a great match.”
She said of Vinci: “She’s got nothing to lose, neither have I, so we’re just to go out and have a lot of fun.” No. Way. It will be a bigger mismatch than the one anticipated in Las Vegas at the weekend between Floyd Mayweather and Andre Berto. Expect a quick knockout.

Back