Politics Soludo, 5 others Fail APGA Gubernatorial Screening Test

A

abujagirl

upload_2013-8-17_6-45-0.png

Former Governor of Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN, Professor Charles Chukwuma Soludo and five other contenders have failed the screening test set up by All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, to screen all aspirants for November 16 governorship election in Anambra state.

Out of the 13 aspirants contesting under the APGA, only seven scaled through the hurdle at the conclusion of the screening exercise which took place between August 15 and 16, 2013 at the party’s national secretariat in Abuja.

Candidates who failed the screening include Emmanuel Nweke, Ogbuefi Tony Nnacheta, Chinedu F. Idigo, Dr. Chike Obidigbo, Mr. Oseloke Obaze and Professor Charles Chukwuemeka Soludo.

Aspirants who passed include, Hon. Chukwuemeka Emmanuel Nwogbo, Paul Odenigbo, Hon. Uche Lillian Ekwunife, Chief Willie Obiano, Mr. John Nwosu, John Okechukwu Emeka and Nwachi Patrick Obianwu.

Alhaji Tayo Sowunmi, Chairman of the Gubernatorial Screening Panel, said the reasons for the non-clearance of the unsuccessful aspirants are as contained in the provisional certificates issued to them.

Soludo shortly after facing the screening panel Thursday in Abuja had told journalists that he joined the APGA not because of the governorship contest but to build the party.

“I am saying my priority in joining All Progressive Grand Alliance, APGA, is to help to build APGA as a formidable political party. Running for governor is not why I joined APGA.

“Did that surprise you? I have joined APGA primarily to join forces with the other compatriots, other Nigerians to build APGA as a formidable political party. An APGA that will some day mainstream what APGA stands for, what APGA has to offer Nigeria.

On whether he will still remain in APGA if he fails to pick the party’s ticket, he said, “I am APGA in the morning in the afternoon and in the night. I am in APGA today, I will be in APGA tomorrow, I will be in APGA next year, I will be in APGA for the next seven years to come.”

He also said he had to quit the PDP because it was not a political party but a mere platform to grab power.

His words, “recently I resigned my membership from PDP and joined APGA. The basic question people kept asking is why?. That is a short question to ask but with a long answer.

“I joined PDP by accident. I did not belong to any political party before I was appointed as the president’s chief Economic Adviser and CEO of National Planning Commission which is more like a minister of National planning Commission.

Back