World South Korea: Impeached First Female President, Park, Moves Out Of Official Residence

P

PressRoom

South Korean court on Friday impeached its first female president, Park Geun-Hye, a first in the nation’s history. Park was removed over allegations of corruption and cronyism.

park geun hye.PNG

President Park left the executive mansion, known as the Blue House Sunday and went to her private home in southern Seoul, according to her spokesman Kim Dong-jo.

Park said she is "sorry that I couldn't fulfill my duty as President until the end," Congressman Min Kyung-wook said on her behalf in front of Park's private home, where crowds chanted support for the departing leader.

"I thank people who have supported and believed in me," Park's statement said. "I will accept all the results. It will take time. but I believe that truth will definitely come out."

North Korea praised President Park's removal, describing it as a "destructive end" for the nation's first female head of state.

"Park Geun-hye is an ignorant and uncouth dictator who squandered the taxpayer's precious money for her own complacency and pleasure," the piece read. "How pathetic is her wretched life."

Back