Politics Soyinka blasts Obasanjo: You are an Affliction we must Learn to Endure

P

ProfRem

President Olusegun Obasanjo has been described by Prof, Wole Soyinka as an overgrown child of circumstance and “an affliction that those of us who share the same era and nation space must learn to endure”.

The renowned playwright stressed that if the former President “offered to host me, I would wait until he had first swallowed a morsel from the same dish”.

objSoyinka.jpe These scathing remarks formed part of how Soyinka described Obasanjo in his new book, titled InterInterventions: Between Defective Memory and the Public Lie – A Personal Odyssey in the Republic of Liars, presented in Abeokuta, Ogun State on Saturday. He said he used the book to respond to lies which Obasanjo allegedly told against him in his latest biography, titled, My Watch, described in InterInterventions as Three-Carat Watch.

Quoting a Yoruba proverb, he wrote, “The child that swears his mother will not sleep must also prepare for a prolonged, sleepless infancy. So, let it be with Okikiola, the overgrown child of circumstance.

“I brainstormed with him over meals both when he was military Head of State- in Dodan Barracks and in his home, Ota – for some time after he left office and early in Aso Rock at his ‘second coming”. Today, it is a different situation.

“I had fully attuned myself to the fact that our Owu retiree soldier and prolific author is an infliction that those of us who share the same era and nation space must learn to endure. However, it does appear to me that there is no end to this individual’s capacity for infantile mischief, and for needless, mind-boggling provocations, such as his recent ‘literary’ intrusion on my peace.”

Back