Sports Sports Minister Reacts to Reports Mikel Paid Hotel Bill of Nigerian Olympic Team

L

LequteMan

Nigerian Sports Minister, Solomon Dalung, in a statement released on Friday has denied reports that Mikel Obi paid $4,000 hotel bill of the Nigerian Olympic team in Sao Paolo.

The hotel bills accrued from 8 unaccredited players and officials in Rio with the National U-23 team, reports said.

According to Dalung, the chief coach of the team Samson Siasia in company of another official had come knocking on his door at about 4am Sao Paolo time.

"Siasia was in my room early this morning and said the hotel security had refused to allow the team leave the hotel due to unpaid hotel bills. I also lodged in the same hotel with the Permanent Secretary and other members of the National Assembly who came to watch the match against Columbia.

"I told him to add the bill to the permanent Secretary's bill so that he can clear it alongside other bills. The amount incurred by the excess officials and players is $4,600. When we checked out of the hotel, the money was added and the Permanent Secretary paid all outstanding bills.

"I am surprised to hear and read that Mikel Obi saved an embarrassing situation by paying the bills" Dalung stated.

Attachments

• Solomon-Dalung (1).jpg
    Solomon-Dalung (1).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 18
Back