Sports Sports ministry not interfering in NFF's decision to hand Keshi a new contract

The National Sports Commission(NSC) has claimed that they don't want meddle in the decision of the Nigeria Football Federation(NFF) whether to allow Stephen Keshi continue as Super Eagles coach.

Keshi is yet to be offered a substantive deal by the NFF after his first contract expired after the World Cup in Brazil.

The Sports minister Tammy Danagogo,had to specially plead with him to coach the Super Eagles on an interim basis for their last two Nations Cup qualifiers against Congo and South Africa.

However,it appears that an agreement is far from being reached with the NFF,as the next round of qualifiers looms next month.

Some reports claim that the NFF is holding out till after their general elections before they will hand Keshi a new contract.

But the sports ministry has claimed that they are unaware that the NFF wants to hand Keshi a new deal.

“The minister promised that if the NFF couldn’t raise the money to pay, the National Sports Commission would. But after the two games, he said the NFF will decide who they want; if they want Keshi, no problem. If they say they want someone else, no problem,”the sports minister's special adviser on media,Patrick Omorodion was quoted as saying on The Punch.

“The minister was concerned about the first two qualifiers of the team. I don’t know if the NFF have made up their mind to give Keshi the job. I am not aware if they have informed Keshi of a new contract but we didn’t discuss anything about that. I spoke with the federation and they said they have not finalised anything with Keshi,” he added.

Also,the NFF spokesman, Ademola Olajire, denied that any deal has been reached with Keshi.

“I don’t know anything about Keshi’s contract or whether the NFF is discussing with him or not. Let’s be patient; in a week or two, we will know the true situation. The match (versus Sudan) comes up next month and we are very much aware of that.”

Keshi vs Bosnia.gif

Back