Politics Stella Oduah Scandal: Finance Ministry Granted N10.1m Import Waiver to Coscharis Motors

A

abujagirl

The Nigerian Customs Service (NCS) on Wednesday, said that the Federal Ministry of Finance granted a waiver of N10.1 million to Coscharis Motors for the purchase of the two BMW cars by the Nigeria Civil Aviation Authority (NCAA).

According to the NCS, the waiver was for the importation of 300 vehicles, including the controversial two BMW cars.

Representative of the Comptroller-General of the NCS, Mr Manasseh Jatau, a Deputy Comptroller of Customs, disclosed this in his presentation at the public hearing of the case on Wednesday in Abuja.

He said the point of entry of the cars was Tincan Port in Lagos, adding that no import duty was collected from the owner of the goods (Coscharis Motors) as a one-year duty waiver for 300 cars was granted in the name of the company for importation of cars for Eko 2012 Games in Lagos.

Jatau said the exemption on the two BMW cars along with 298 others was at the expense of the Lagos State Government, who would have been the beneficiaries of the payment.

Duly signed documents presented to the committee by the NCS showed that the Import Duty, VAT, ETLS, CISS and Port Charges Waiver Certificate was issued by the Ministry of Finance on November 20, 2012.

Jatau also disclosed that contrary to earlier reports the Office of the National Security Adviser duly issued an approval for the purchase of the armored cars.

He said a signed copy of a pre-shipment inspection end-user certificate issued by the NSA on June 6, 2013, showed that due approval was gotten from the office for Coscharis Motors to import three armored cars valued at 223,653.48 dollars into Nigeria for commercial purposes.

The document, identified as "Form A’’, had the stamp of the Office of the National Security Adviser appended on it.

During the public hearing, members of the House of Representatives Committee on Aviation accused Coscharis Motors of over inflating the cost of the cars and deceiving the public and the government by saying that the cars were bought for NCAA when actually they were purchased on behalf of the Lagos State Government.

Coscharis was also accused of supplying different make and types of vehicles other than those mentioned. (NAN)

#stellaoduah

upload_2013-10-30_21-7-0.png

I hurriedly read through this news item (a bit distracted) but the concluding paragraphs sums it all up.

I'm not a fan of corruption but a true believer of doing things properly. This is how Nigerian politics is played - shifting blames (whether for or against).

Oduah clearly made some enemies in these past few months. Whether she's indeed innocent of these charges **shrugs** or has decided to apologize, one has to congratulate her for a successful purchase of luxury items (for herself or not, again it is irrelevant).

...but Lagos state government? I did not see this one coming. As usual I'll wait, quite passively, for the next mystery that will reveal itself on this issue.

Just like every Nigerian, I await the next news articles that'll give us hope that the battle against corruption has finally been won.

Fashola, Tinubu and APC just stepped into this issue big time .....

Should this be the set of people that the PDP should be depending on to have their back on this issue?

Undeniably, Nigerian politics is interesting to watch (as long as innocent lives are allowed to just watch and not add effect to the movie)

1. If the import duty had been paid, it would have benefited the Lagos state treasury.

2. However, the FG granted Coscharis waiver certificates for the cars.

3. The two cars were only two out of the 300 cars imported for the Eko 2012 festival.

Let's go back a few steps. I've missed a lot since I last read this story. Last time I was here, someone said the cars never even existed. Now they're two of 300 cars with definite, traceable history?

Hey. God. I'm confused :(

LMAO!

People like you are the reason our politicians are finding it difficult to move money around freely again.

Nigerians forget, too quickly I must add. How do you think Oduah will feel if people like you start asking questions that was supposed to stay dead?

Now I must confess too, you are going to upset Oduah and co. if you keep up with these enquiries @The_HeadCase

@phealip, don't do that. That is not what I said, neither is it what I meant. You reserve the right to say what you want about anyone, but I would not have you change the intent of my words.

Should this be the set of people that the PDP should be depending on to have their back on this issue?

Undeniably, Nigerian politics is interesting to watch (as long as innocent lives are allowed to just watch and not add effect to the movie)
Best way to kill a corruption case is to make it more political than it is...

Back