Sports Super Eagles: Nigeria's Defence Is Disappointing - Taribo West

Former Nigeria defender Taribo West has lashed out at the Super Eagles duo of Kenneth Omeruo and Godfrey Oboabona, saying they defended like schoolboys in their recent games for the country.

Taribo who represented Nigeria at two World Cup tournaments was left disappointed seeing the way both players have been playing in the qualifiers for the 2015 African Nations Cup.

Nigeria have conceded five goals in four matches played so far in the qualifiers.

While Taribo was impressed with Nigeria's game against Sudan on Wednesday,he could not say so for Oboabona and Omeruo.

“The Eagles impressed me (on Wednesday) but our defence was suspect and Omeruo and Oboabona played like amateur defenders,” Taribo told The Punch.

“They are good defenders but they were too relaxed and made the same mistakes over and over again. We have conceded goals the same way in the qualifiers. Sudan’s goal was similar to the one against us in the first leg in Khartoum.

“They only did well against South Africa, though they made some mistakes. South Africa had the opportunity to execute one-on-one moves and score goals but Vincent Enyeama saved us. The two defenders didn’t play like champions or professionals in other games.

“I think they need competition. We need to scout for new central defenders. I would have suggested that they should be dropped but we don’t have better replacements for them now. But they should work on improving their weaknesses.

Omeruo and Oboabona formed an impressive partnership for Nigeria at the 2013 Nations Cup, with both hailed as the future for Nigeria, but tepid performances of late have cast doubts over their abilities.

rsz_taribo_2_-_copy.jpg

Back